Friday, June 11, 2010

Beetroot Palya

  I normally make my lunch with my lil one everyday.She helps me in my kitchen like handing me veggies and spices.I cut the beetroot with a vidalia chop wizard.It gives a cute little square shape.My daughter helps me in this by giving me each piece to cut and loves to do and helps me in pressing the wizard with me :)

  I tell her about the veggies i use day to day.And also about the color,shape and size.
She loves to have this in her lunch.I like to add little bit of jaggery to give sweetness to this recipe(tip from mom).Garnishing with coconut is optional.This is a simple,yet tasty side dish with rice.

Ingredients:
Beetroot : 1 Big
Green chilli : 1 slit lenghtwise
Salt : as needed
Jaggery : 1tsp
Turmeric :1/2 tsp

For Tamper:
Mustard seeds : 1tsp
Cumin/Jeera seeds : 2tsp
Curry leaves : 5 leaves
Hing : 1/4 tsp

Coconut flakes : 2tsp(for garnish)(optional)

Peel the skin and cut beetroot into small square shape(used vidalia) and microwave with little water for 4 mins.


This helps beetroot to cook fast in stove top.
1.In a skillet,add 2tsp of oil add the seeds for tampering.
2.When it crackles, add the curry leaves and hing.
3.Add beetroot with rest of the spices.
4.Give a stir and if need sprinkle water to get the beet cooked.
5.Garnish with coconut flakes



Enjoy with hot rice and sambar.You can add more chilli for spiciness

I still remember my mother used to give me this when i was little,hot rice,ghee and palya. aah it soo tasty.

Sending this to Srivalli's Kids Delight,Theme: Coloring Food


4 comments:

  1. First time here u have a lovely blog the beetroot curry looks yummy.Do visit my blog swapna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks absolutely delicious. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! superb recipe..love it..

    www.nithubala.com

    ReplyDelete